Below you will find a list of common topics we are asked about. If you do not find the answer to your question, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our staff.

Credit Cards

These should be cancelled immediately. If you do not know the telephone number for cancelling your cards, call ITAS and we will advise you of the relevant numbers.


You will require a police report in order to receive a temporary travel document from your embassy. You can contact your embassy directly or contact ITAS who will give you the contact details and requirements of your embassy. In a situation where you could miss your departure flight, due to the time it will take to get your temporary travel documents issued, it is recommended that you contact ITAS who will liaise with the relevant travel company to try and get your departure re-scheduled.

For families of victims of murder and other unlawful killing

A Garda Family Liaison Officer (FLO) will be assigned to you. The Garda FLO will provide timely and accurate information on the progress of the Garda investigation. They will also provide contact details of victim support organisations which are available to support you.

Do I have to pay for the service?

The services provided by ITAS are free. You do not need to pay for any support or practical assistance that you receive from us.

I have been a victim of crime but not in Dublin – can you help me?

ITAS is a national service so we assist tourists irrespective of where in Ireland the crime has occurred. We can offer information and support over the phone. If a journey to Dublin is required to visit your embassy or for any other purpose, we can organise this. We will keep in contact with you until you are happy that all issues in so far as possible, are resolved.

Can I receive compensation if I am a victim of crime in Ireland?

If you are injured as a result of a violent crime in Ireland, you may be entitled to compensation under the scheme of ‘Compensation for Personal Injuries Criminally Can I receive compensation if I am a victim of crime in Ireland ?

If you are injured as a result of a violent crime in Ireland, you may be entitled to
compensation under the scheme of ‘Compensation for Personal Injuries Criminally Inflicted’ through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Tribunal. Compensation may be awarded on the basis of out of pocket expenses, including medical expenses and loss of earnings, experienced by the victim. You are not entitled to compensation for items stolen or property damaged. For this you must claim through your insurance company.If the victim has died as a result of the incident, the Tribunal may award compensation to the dependants of the victim.

The incident in which the injury was caused must have been reported to the Gardaí. There is a three-month time limit for making a claim, but this can be extended in exceptional circumstances up to two years if the Tribunal is satisfied that the circumstances justify exceptional treatment. Further information on the compensation scheme is available at the following link

If you are a citizen of another EU State you can apply for compensation directly from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Tribunal or through the national compensating authority in your home country. They will advise you about making a claim or you can apply directly through the European’s Commission website: https://e-


A money transfer is the fastest option for receiving money in emergency situations. Contact ITAS for relevant agencies and procedural information. If you are stranded without money, ITAS may be able to organise accommodation, meals and transport on a short-term basis until your money becomes available.

Drivers Licence

You will not be able to replace your drivers licence in Ireland. This can only be done on your return home. If you had intended to hire a car, please contact ITAS as we may be able to assist. If you have already hired a car, then the car hire company will have a copy of your licence but it would be advisable to keep a copy of the garda report in the car in case you are stopped by the Gardaí.

If you have been the victim of a sexual offence

  • The Gardaí will provide a Garda of the same gender and a doctor of the same gender as far as possible, when asked.
  • The Gardaí will provide you with details about any local support organisations for victims of sexual offences.
  • In the event that you would like to return home immediately, ITAS may be able to arrange the re-scheduling of your travel plans.

Is the Service confidential?

ITAS provides a confidential service. We will only discuss or pass on details of your situation with your consent.

For example, if you require an Emergency Travel Document from your embassy, we will not contact the embassy on your behalf unless you are happy for us to do so.

What is your Data Protection Policy?

ITAS data collection aims to be open and transparent at all times. At the time we collect information about you, you will be made aware of how that information will be used. We only collect and maintain information in our capacity to provide a comprehensive service to each client. We will only hold information which is adequate and relevant to the purpose it serves. If we are in receipt of certain personal data e.g. copies of passports/ID, medical, banks details etc, we ensure that the information is returned to you or destroyed as appropriate.

We will keep a record of your contact details, relevant personal details and the assistance we provided to you. Any personal data that would identify you will be anonymised after six months.

If you find our service helpful, please consider a donation