What to do if you experience crime while visiting Ireland

If you are a visitor to Ireland and have been the victim of a crime or traumatic event, you can contact ITAS directly for support and information.

We also advise that you report the incident to An Garda Síochána, Ireland’s National Police Service. The nearest Garda station to where the incident occurred is the best place to report the crime. The Garda will refer you to ITAS if you would like our help and support.

Ask the Garda for a report of the incident (ITAS1 or a To Whom It May Concern Report). You may need this report if you have subsequent dealings with your embassy, airline and insurance company. In addition, you may need this as proof of theft/loss if you need to renew documents such as driver’s licence, medical insurance card and certain other cards when you return home.

ITAS provides a comprehensive service that helps visitors to:

  • Access emergency travel documents through contact with their embassy
  • Liaise with airlines and ferry companies regarding travel plans
  • Facilitate the cancellation of bank and credit cards
  • Arrange swift money transfers
  • Contact family and relevant services such as insurance and car hire companies
  • In emergencies ITAS may provide the following complimentary services on a short term basis:
    • Accommodation
    • Meals
    • Transport
    • Retail vouchers

ITAS regrets that it cannot offer:

  • Financial assistance
  • Replacement of stolen items
  • Insurance or legal advice

Frequently Asked Questions

ITAS is committed to finding the most appropriate solutions. If you have a question about our services, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page, where you can find the answers to many of your queries. If you cannot find the answer to your question we are available to discuss your problem. All you have to do is email info@itas.ie or phone us at: +353-(0)1-6669354

If you find our service helpful, please consider a donation