Out and about
- Plan your route beforehand to minimise checking maps on the street.
- Mind your belongings when in crowded areas. Use a bag with a strap that goes around your neck and diagonally across your body.
- Keep to populated areas and avoid deserted streets at night.
- Don’t bring attention to yourself by wearing expensive jewellery or leaving belongings exposed.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Walk purposefully and confidently.
- Avoid taking short-cuts through deserted areas particularly after dark.
- If you are travelling to a remote area inform somebody where you are going.
- Camp in approved sites only-never pitch a tent in open spaces or public areas.
Mind your money
- Store any excess cash and other valuable in the safe in your accommodation.
- Do not carry all your money in the one place. If travelling as a couple or in a group divide the money between you.
- Don’t carry more money with you than you intend to spend during the day.
- If you have to carry excess cash or valuables use a discreet money belt inside your clothing.
- Be alert when withdrawing money from cash machines
- Become familiar with your route before you start the trip.
- If you have rented a car make sure it is in good working order. Learn how all the windows, door locks and other equipment work before you leave the rental premises.
- Keep car doors locked while you are driving.
- Don’t leave luggage or valuables visible inside a parked car
- Don’t leave luggage attached to a roof rack.
- When visiting city centre areas, park your car in a secure car park and retain the parking ticket on your person.
- Always lock your car when leaving it unattended, even for brief periods.
- At night, park in well-lit areas.
- When checking into your accommodation, always ask about secure car parking.