What to do if you are a tourist crime victim

Even with the best advice and planning things can sometimes go wrong. If you are a visitor to Ireland and have been the victim of a crime or traumatic event, report the incident to An Garda Síochána, Ireland’s national Police Service. The nearest garda station to where the incident occurred is the best place to report the crime. Get a report of the incident and ask the Garda to call the Irish Tourist Assistance Service (ITAS) or contact us directly.

ITAS can offer the following assistance:

  • Use of telephone/fax/email facilities
  • Staff/Volunteers with foreign language skills for interpreting
  • Liaison with embassies, Gardaí and other agencies on your behalf
  • Cancellation of credit cards
  • Organising money transfers
  • Re-issue/re-schedule of stolen travel tickets
  • Arrange accommodation/meals in emergency situations
  • Organise transport for stranded tourists
  • Address medical needs

ITAS regrets that it cannot offer:

  • Financial assistance
  • Replacement of stolen items
  • Insurance or legal advice

For more information and to answer any questions please check out our:
Frequently Asked Questions